Journocoders November 2015
Venue: The News Building
Date: Thursday 12 November
Event page: http://www.meetup.com/Journocoders/events/226587407/
The tutorial: http://leilahaddou.github.io/neo4j-tutorial.html
Show and Tell
- https://twitter.com/tvcommentbot - http://www.davidlubl.in/blog/2015/tvcommentbot
- http://twobillionmiles.com/ (Channel 4)
- http://lotrproject.com/ (not mine, and not news related, but check out the data vis!)
- http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/27/world/greenland-is-melting-away.html (how they made it: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/insider/a-drones-vantage-point-of-a-melting-greenland.html)
Installing Neo4j in the terminal
This is the recommended method for Mac users. Alternatively, download the community edition..
- Open up the Terminal located in the Utilities folder on your Mac
- Paste in the top code found here to install Homebrew http://brew.sh/
- It may ask to install XCode and for your Mac password. Agree to both.
- Afterwards type "which brew" in the terminal. If the install worked it should give a file path, if it failed it will say brew not found.
- Once brew has installed, type "brew install neo4j" and let it run. Older Mac users may not have Java 1.7 installed as standard so it may ask you to install it.
- Once complete, type: "neo4j start" in the terminal
- It will give you a local host path usually 7474 that you can paste into a web browser.
- Voila! You are ready to use Neo4j. To stop neo4j type "neo4j stop" in the terminal.
If you have Java issues (and honestly, who doesn’t?), install this from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
Cypher Reference card /cheatsheet: http://neo4j.com/docs/2.3.1/cypher-refcard/
if you have a previous version and want to delete the database, run this in the terminal
- neo4j stop && rm -rf /usr/local/Cellar/neo4j/2.1.6/libexec/data/* && neo4j start
- OR to delete in the web UI: MATCH (n) DETACH DELETE n